More views of Skipton and Skipton Castle
Situated on the main A65 route which skirts the Yorkshire Dales and leads on to the Lake District, Skipton makes an ideal base for visiting some of the best loved attractions in the Yorkshire Dales, Bronte Country and other parts of northern England.
Nearby are the famous dales villages of Malham (with its spectacular limestone cliffs and gorges), Gargrave (on the Leeds - Liverpool canal), Rylstone and Cracoe, Grassington, Burnsall and the celebrated riverside beauty spot of Bolton Abbey (near the vllage of Addingham and the spa town of Ilkley) in Lower Wharfedale.
Attractions in the town itself include Skipton Castle (behind which lie Skipton Woods) and the Leeds - Liverpool canal. The town's name derives from "schap" - an old nordic word for "sheep" (literally sheep town), and every year the residents celebrate Skipton's associations with this delightful animal by hosting a special Sheep Day (!)
Accommodation in and around Skipton
Other Skipton websites:
For more information about Skipton, places near Skipton and some Skipton based businesses and other organisations, please also visit the following externally maintained Skipton related websites (listed in approximate alphabetical order):
- Destination Skipton
- Emma's Apothecary (vintage and 1940s swing related gift shop in Craven Court, Skipton)
- Family Treasure Hunts in Skipton from CluesGo Treasure Hunts
- Grassington Web
- Malcolm Hanson (local information)
- Martin Ruffe's Skipton photographs
- Pennine Boat Trips
- Places to visit in the Skipton area from Town House B & B
- Roger Newhouse of Skipton (used Volvos, spares and repairs)
- SCAD - The Skipton and Craven Association for the Disabled
- The Skipton Little Theatre
- Skiptonweb (an excellent local information resource)
- Sutton in Craven (village near Skipton)
IMPORTANT NOTE: The above information and links have been supplied by independent third parties whose content, products and/or services are not necessarily recommended or endorsed by Eagle Intermedia.